Thursday, June 3, 2010

starfucks

yeah that's right. i said it. i hate starbucks. i have to catch my trains from southern cross, so when we got there today and had e bit of time we decided to get coffee. the problem with southern cross though is that there are no cafes around, just the coffee places at dfo. the chocolate cafe is pretty expensive and their coffee isn't even that good, so we went to the only other place with coffee/hot chocolate, starbucks. i wanted to get a coffee with chocolate or caramel in it. it turns out, the only hot chocolates and mocha/caramel coffees they have all have cream on top. i was going to just get a hot chocolate but ended up with a soy flat white. this is how it went down...
me: do you have any normal hot chocolates?
starbucks_bitch: you mean without cream?
me: yeah. a hot chocolate without cream.
starbucks_bitch: no, but we can make you one without the cream.
me: but you'll still charge me the same right?
starbucks_bitch: yeah, it'll still cost the same.
me: and then if i get it made with soy milk you'll charge me extra for that?
starbucks_bitch: yeah, it'll cost extra.
me: so basically you're saying that because i'm lactose intolerant you're going to charge me more to get less?
starbucks_bitch: *stunned silence*
yeah, that's right. we're not all big fat american loving, cream guzzling, full cream milk drinking bogans. i hate the way franchise coffee places rub in the whole "you can't eat whipped cream or drink dairy milk. ha ha." bitches. and what were they thinking, opening up in melbourne... i'm so glad they are losing business here. melbourne is known for a lot of things; fashion, art, sport, great food, laneways and coffee [other things too, but i thought that was a well rounded list]. so if you can go down any stinky alley way and get a coffee for like $2, why would you go to starbucks and get a tall mocha frappa loca latte for $5? who knows what they were thinking... stupid americans.
i've been doing really good at saving the last couple of months. every week i take $40 out of my bank account and put it into a tin that you have to can open to get into. this makes it easier for me to save because if i have to physically get a can opener to get at it, i'm less likely to get it out and spend it. once i have the tin and can opener in hand and i've gone to all that effort i can stop myself, but if i'm just putting it into my net saver account i can still simply get it out through net bank. i've also been saving all my tips for the year, but that's so that me and the boy can go to gold class and have the most amazing two year anniversary date ever. i was also starting to put $50 a week into my net saver account every week, but when i started getting less shifts i couldn't afford to because i still need money to catch the train, fill my car and up the credit on my phone. i need those things to survive, so i had to just save the $40 and my tips. but my shift numbers have picked up and a few people are leaving the restaurant, so hopefully on the holidays i can work as much as possible and save save save, then move out of home and live the life.
i was with the boy yesterday walking his dog to the supermarket to get dinner. we walked past a house that has been half complete since i've known the boy and i asked him why it had never been completed. he told me that it had never been completed because the couple who were building it had got a divorce and if it were completed, the wife would have been entitled to half, so the husband left it there, half finished and rotting away in the middle of suburbia. i love that this is the kind of folklore attached to buildings on his side of town. suburbs stop being built out my way so my little country town is considered a rural area and rural areas have buildings with folklore such as captain moonlights half built church a few kilometer's down the road. the story goes that an old bush ranger called captain moonlight posed as a clergyman and convinced the town folk that they needed a church, so he raised some funds and got building. half way through the building process he told the towns people that he needed more money to finish the church, so having come into small fortunes through gold mining, the townspeople gave him more money, but before construction began on the church again, captain moonlight took off with the loot and the church has remained half built ever since.
we have bush-rangers, they have divorcee's. i know where i'd rather be.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know, I understand that it bumms you out to get soy if you're lactose intolerant, but I don't know that it was right to be so cruel to the starbucks chick. I mean, coffee places (my own cafe included) charge extra for soy because it costs more- simply so they can recoup the extra outlay. I guess if you wanna get angry, get angry at manufacturers.

    I mean, hey, maintain the rage, but don't be horrible to some poor low-paid starbucks girl who doesn't make the rules in the first place.

    ReplyDelete